Kollagen Intensiv

Monday, August 12, 2013

What is the best quality glucosamine for dogs product in your opinion? Where do I buy it?

Question by sharon: What is the best quality glucosamine for dogs product in your opinion? Where do I buy it?
There is a lot of advertising on this issue which is attached to the information sites and I am getting confused. Thanks for your help.
don't tell me to go to my vet - he is useless. He asked me what type of dog I was holding!!! (a classicly marked, pure border collie)


Best answer:

Answer by sillybuttmunky
1. You should go to A vet. Not necessarily the "yours". Glucosamine, though you can buy it over the counter can be regulated in dosages. If you're dog needs 5mg and you end up buying a good brand (which ever that may be) in 15mg, you're poinsoning you dog.

2. Nutro brand dog food has glucosamine IN the dog food already. That may help as an additive.

Good Luck



Add your own answer in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. I just buy the liquid glucosamine from WalMart and give my chihuahua 3ccs twice a day. It is a very safe supplement. Your vet can sell you some if you would prefer one made for dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would change vets- I use Osteo Granules for my dogs- they love it! You can only get it at a vets office(and its cheaper)
    Also Dasaquin is very good

    ReplyDelete
  3. my vet suggested getting the glucoamine from a health store. They are cheaper than in the dog section, come more to a bottle and work just as well. I think the pet section of Walmart want 60 for 10.00 and in the health section they gave you 120 for 6.99. We have been doing this for a year now with our alaskan malamute. She is like a different dog when she takes these pills. She gets a 1000mg a day, because she is over 80 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many products!!!! I used Liquid Health, order it from something like country vet supply on the www

    now I use Cetyl-M different product, but has some glucosamine in it. I get it through a local dealer

    ReplyDelete
  5. i get mine from drs. foster and smith. look on their website. it's works good for my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like to get human quality grade supplements for my dogs.
    For glucosamine, there are different sources of manufacture. There are some dogs that actually respond better to glucosamine from green lipped mussles. Also I prefer glucosamine sulphate as it helps to strengthen the collagen around the joints
    Whatever the source, glucosamine is better when taken together with chondrotin and MSM. Don't forget too that vitmain c is necessary for better absorption of glucosamine.
    If you are giving it to your dog as a prophylatic, then a border collie needs at least 500mg a day. If your dog is already suffering from arthritis, then at 1000mg to 1500mg a day is recommended.
    A recent study has also found that omega 3 and 6 oils work synergistically with glucosamine for joint protection. You might want to consider adding some flaxseed oil to the diet.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use liquid K9- Liquid Health (glucosamine/chondroitin & msm) which I bought at a pet store and was told it's human grade. The glucosamine tablets are a pain to give, the liquid is mixed with food and so much easier.

    ReplyDelete